Why buy when you can borrow? With a library card, you get free access to books, movies, magazines, newspapers, Internet access, board games, and more. It’s the most valuable card in your wallet! Sign up for a library card at Burlington Public Library or online at www.GetYourLibraryCard.org.
Whether you use the library often or you have not yet visited us, your feedback will help inform our goals and strategies as we look to the future. If you would like to be entered into a drawing to win a gift card, please enter your email address or phone number at the end of the survey. The survey closes on June 30, 2019. Thank you!
During National Library Week (2nd week in April), library patrons had the opportunity to fill out postcards that started with “I love my library because”… We received 60 responses, which were displayed for a month and are transcribed below. They are by no means an unbiased sampling (“I love my Library because” is kind of a leading question), but these responses do demonstrate the breadth of activities that the library provides to engage and enrich the lives of the Burlington community.
“I love my library because”…
- “I love to come to this friendly, helpful, well organized library and get free books to enjoy.”
- “There are a lot of games and Legos.”
- “I can watch and read things without buying them.”
- “I like books.”
- “All the books.”
- “Love (being) at the library because it’s nice and quiet.”
- “All the extras like movies, book club & seminars.”
- “All the free resources, friendly people, kid friendly, classes to learn, I love learning.”
- “I am a traveling sales rep and having books on CD helps pass the many miles very entertained.”
- “We love the library because it keeps our kids involved in reading.”
- “All the people who work there! Love holding a book in my hands. Don’t like online reading. My library always has my favorite authors.”
- “Calligraphy classes, kids programming, friendly staff.” (Several smiley face emojis)
- “I love the smell of a real book. All the people who work at the library are great!!”
- “I love a quiet place to do homework for my degree!”
- “This is not enough space for my reasons why I love my library!”
- “Every day is like Christmas when picking up my holds.”
- “It has all the book series that I read.”
- “The books give wide selections of topics.”
- “It has so many things to do and books we can bring home.”
- “There are books I love.”
- “My kids love coming to find new books to read!”
- “The librarians are the best.”
- “We love to learn reading new books.”
- “They help find books I want to read.”
- “They have lots of fun books.” (Hearts and Smiley faces)
- “Wonderful selection and wonderful staff.”
- “I have access to books & movies!”
- “It has all the books I love!”
- “You provide a facility for many varied opportunities for so many people.”
- “You provide your wonderful facility for us to do our lessons in the quiet space of the conference room, and have wonderful materials for me to use and check out.”
- “I love to read and the library gives me a chance to read many books for no cost.”
- “There is great people and lots to look at.”
- “I have started reading again and it can get quite costly. It’s nice to be able to get good reads. FREE!”
- “They have all my favorite books.”
- “Easy free entertainment.”
- “It is convenient.”
- “Of the wonderful people working at the Burlington location and the interstate system so you can get books from various Wisconsin locations. Thanks again.”
- “It has books, movies, Legos, and crafts.”
- “You have such helpful staff.”
- “They have my favorite books by Rich Riordan.”
- “The people who work here really rock! And the programs are good too. We love the hotspot.”
- “Because of your hours and access to computers, movies, programs of a creative nature. Thank you for being there.”
- “It is awesome! Love it!”
- “I can get books without having to buy them.”
- “I couldn’t start my day without my book and a cup of coffee!! No, really!!!”
- “I love to read.”
- “They have the best staff!”
- “Of all the great books and movies, etc., they have and because of all the kind, helpful people who work there!”
- “It’s a very friendly and welcoming place.”
- “I love the free movies on Monday. I love the helpful people who research videos, books, etc. for us. I love the craft classes and interesting speakers.”
- “Because I can get the latest books when they come and do not have to pay for books. The help is always friendly.”
- L Ladies
- “I am able to check out amazing books for my 2 sons and I to enjoy!”
- “The employees are so awesome, helpful, and happy to help us. Thanks for the great work!!”
- “It saves me a ton of money on books.”
- “Because Jackson and Nanni love the library and so do I. Jackson is “2” now, we’ve been coming since Jackson was 3 months. And we love the staff.”
- “I drive a lot and love borrowing audio books.”
- “They always have something new – not just books – for all ages. If you can’t find something to interest you – it’s your own fault!!”
- “Of all the great resources, and the friendly staff that helps use those resources.”
The regular hours of the Burlington Public Library are:
Monday – Thursday: 9am to 9pm
Friday & Saturday: 9am to 5:30pm
In addition, BPL is closed for the following holidays:
- Tuesday, January 1
- Monday, May 27
- Thursday, July 4
- Monday, September 2
- Thursday, November 28
- Tuesday, December 24
- Wednesday, December 25
- Tuesday, December 31
- Wednesday, January 1, 2020
The Public Service Commission of Wisconsin has published a new Internet Discount Finder.
Digital equity has become an urgent issue as schools provide more and more of their students with mobile devices to take home, while 20% of Wisconsin households do not have access to the internet. For many children and adults, the public library is the only source of internet access.
The Internet Discount Finder, created by the Wisconsin Public Services Commission, can help low-income households find discounted internet service. Discounts are as deep as 80%.
Note—the The Internet Discount Finder is not just for households with students. It is designed to help *all* Wisconsin families and residences get internet access.
Burlington Public Library Eliminates Overdue Fines for Children’s and Teens’ Materials
Burlington Public Library will no longer charge overdue fines for Children’s and Young Adult (Teen) materials. Existing fines on these items have been cleared.
This policy is effective immediately. All existing unpaid overdue fines on Children’s or Young Adult materials have already been cleared.
We are committed to increasing reading and literacies, and combating the “summer slump” that causes students to lose skills between grades. We have a comprehensive Summer Reading Program to encourage use of the library and reward children for reading.
Overdue fines stop kids and their parents from using the library. Forty-nine percent of registered library users have fine balances, and twenty-four percent have fines so high that they are blocked from using their library cards. Youth users whose cards are blocked stop using the library.
This policy change was approved unanimously by the Library Board of Trustees. The contact for this change is Library Director Joe Davies (email@example.com)
- Materials belonging to other libraries will still have overdue fines assessed.
- Fines are based on the material type, not the age of the borrower. An adult checking out an Elephant & Piggie book for their child would not be assessed overdue fines. A child whose card is used to check out a James Patterson novel for their parent will be assessed overdue fines.
- All items that are damaged will still be charged for repair or replacement.
- All items that are long overdue will be assumed lost, and a bill will be sent for replacement.
Burlington Public Library has lots of great ways to get exciting digital content to you at all hours of the day or night, with just your library card and PIN.
- Overdrive has e-books and audiobooks
- Flipster has loads of digital magazines
- Gale Courses provides lots of great learning opportunities
- SHARE Catalog lets your reserve materials for pickup
Burlington Public Library is here to serve the community. We provide interesting and enlightening materials for education and personal enrichment. Whether you come here every day or haven’t stopped in years, we are here for you. We answer questions big and small, and even when we’re closed, our digital content is always available.
Need help? Call us at 262-342-1130 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re happy to help!