Events for Kids
Libraries Rock! Summer Reading Program
Join us at the Burlington Public Library for “Libraries Rock” this summer! We have a Reading Program where children of all ages can earn prizes by completing weekly bookmarks of fun reading activities. Kids will also have a chance to win a grand prize.
And while you’re here, take advantage of these fun events:
- Summer Registration Begins: Monday, June 11
- First day to turn in reading record: Monday, June 18
- Summer Reading Program Ends: Friday, August 17
- Grand Prize Drawing: Monday, August 20-winners will be notified this week.
Teen Volunteers Needed
We need your help with this year’s summer reading program, and you need community service hours. So, let’s work together! Sign up to be a 2018 Summer Reading Program Volunteer at BPL today! You can sign up at http://signup.com/go/DDjmKiB
Special Summer Event for Teens & Adults:
Cosplay How-To Sessions
Mondays, June 4 – September 10, 6:30 p.m. (see noted dates)
Cosplay is the practice of dressing up as a character from a movie, book, or video game, especially one from the Japanese genres of manga and anime.
- June 4 – Cosplay Planning 101
- June 18 – Modifying Thrifts and Everyday Items
- July 9 – Makeup
- July 16 – Wigs
- July 30 – Sewing Patterns
- August 13 – Sewing Troubleshooting
- August 20 – Props & Accessories
- September 10 – Photography Etiquette
- July 31, August 7, and 14-ABC Music and Me at 10:00 a.m.-for kids birth to 5.
- August 8-Tie Dye T-Shirts in Wehmhoff Square Park at 10:00 a.m.-Ages 10 and up. Registration Required
- Every Friday in August at 10:00 a.m. Sensory Play in Wehmhoff Square Park. Children ages 5 and under and their care takers come and explore hands-on activities that involve your senses.
- August 20-Summer Reading Grand Prize Drawing. Winners will be notified this week.
Movement Mondays-For 2 to 5 year old with caregiver. Research shows there are positive correlations between movement and learning so bring your shoes and move with us. This program will have a dance component and then movement exploration like hula hoops, balls, scooters, parachutes and more. Perfect for those active toddlers!
Lap-Sit with Ms. Jen and Ms. Jane – Come listen to books, learn finger plays and rhymes, and sing and dance! Children ages 5 and under invited Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10:00 a.m. Thursday is a repeat of Tuesdays. No registration necessary.
Building Blocks 10:00 – 10:45 a.m. Tuesdays, September 18- October 23 with Linda Breuer. This program is for parents or grandparents and their babies, toddlers and preschoolers ages 0-4. Musical activities, book readings, and social play will engage you and your young child. It is a free gathering time for families to share parenting experiences and helpful tips. Sign in onsite.
Fall Craft Party-Tuesday, October 2 from 2 to 3. Come enjoy some Fall Crafts. For kids of all ages. No registration necessary.
Science Festival– Saturday, October 13 from 9:30 to 12:30. Families can explore several hands-on technology activities! Learn about 3D Printers, Ozobots, Makey-Makey’s, Sphero, Little Bits and more!
Henna Program-Saturday, October 20 from noon to 2. You will learn the history of Henna and learn how to create Henna. This program is for kids 12 and up and is limited to 12 kids. Registration Required.
Spooky City-SAFE TRICK-OR-TREATING-Saturday, October 27. The library will be handing out treats to all costumed children from 11 a.m. to noon, or while supplies last.
Apple Pie Program-Saturday, November 10 at 10:00 a.m.-Come learn how to make an apple pie from scratch. This is a family program. Limited to 20 people. Registration Required.
Please call the library at 262-342-1130 to see if we are open and programs are not canceled. We alert Channels 4, 6 and 12 when the library is closed due to bad weather.