Request for Proposal for Architectural and Design Services
The Burlington Public Library is seeking proposals from interested architectural/design firms with the experience and expertise to develop a space plan for improvements and renovations to the Burlington Public Library. The Library is located at 166 E. Jefferson St., Burlington, WI 53105.
The Library was constructed in 1917 as a post office, renovated for use as a library in 1964, and expanded in 1987 to its current size. The current facility is 16,019 square feet on three levels. We have recently completed a strategic plan that identified space needs as a major area of focus, but it is expected that substantial fundraising still needs to occur.
We want a plan that will envision an optimal library space to accomplish our service goals, including options for renovating existing space, expanding the library, or creating an original structure, as well as identifying intermediate projects that will maximize the use of the current facility while being complementary to the larger vision.
The Library Board will review and evaluate the proposals and will take into account price, qualifications, past experience with similar types of public library projects and willingness to meet time requirements. Select firms will be asked to make presentations regarding their qualifications and approach to the project.
The Library Director will be available to answer questions about the operations and history of the present building. All interested firms are encouraged to visit the facility to enhance their understanding of the project. Please contact the Director to schedule a site visit.
Scope of Services Desired
Phase I: To be accomplished by May 23, 2020:
- Assessment of current library space in regard to accomplishing service goals
Phase II: To be accomplished by August 1, 2020:
- An intermediate plan for reconfiguring and repurposing existing library space for optimal service outcomes that achieves maximum results with minimum cost and disruption
- Visioning of optimal library space to accomplish service goals, including options and recommendations for renovating existing space, expanding the library, or building a new building
The architect will collaborate with the Library to confirm current space use and future requirements. The Library Board and staff expect to actively collaborate with the selected architect during the planning phase.
This planning phase of the Library Improvement Project is to be completed no later than August 1, 2020, and should include estimated costs for the planned improvements.
Firms submitting proposals shall include the following:
- A cover letter summarizing the firm’s team experience, approach and other information relevant to this project.
- Qualifications including contact information, firm profile, ownership and corporate structure, number of architects and personnel. One-page references of key personnel that would be assigned to this project including their relevant experience.
- Descriptions of three relevant projects completed or in progress and three references including contact information.
- Any supplemental information that is relevant to the proposed project.
- The cost to develop a plan for the Library Improvement Project as defined in the scope of services desired.
Please submit one electronic version of the proposal. All proposals must be received by Joe Davies, Library Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org, by Tuesday, February 18, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.