Library Card Policy

A valid Burlington Public Library card or SHARE card is necessary to check out materials or to use the interlibrary loan services and public use equipment.

All library card holders have access to all of the Burlington Public Library’s materials and services. Responsibility for the reading, listening, and viewing of library materials by children rests with their parents or legal guardians.

Any resident of Racine, Walworth, or Kenosha Counties may be issued a FREE library card for the Burlington Public Library. Reciprocal borrowing privileges are extended to residents of all Wisconsin Counties (excluding Milwaukee County). Fee Cards are available for out-of-state or Milwaukee County Residents. Please ask at the Checkout Desk.

State issued photo ID with current address is required when applying for you library card. A parent or legal guardian must sign for persons 17 years old or younger.

Using your library card

Protect your library card to control what items are checked out on it. Do not lend your library card to others.

Materials obtained for a patron through reserve or interlibrary loan will only be checked out on the card of the patron placing the reserve.

You are responsible for materials checked out on your library card. Report a lost/stolen card or a change of name or address to the Checkout Desk immediately.

If your library card is inactive (unused) for 18 months, the computer will automatically remove your name and barcode from the system. To be reinstated, you simply re-register.

Your Right to Privacy

Personal Library Records: The Burlington Public Library recognizes the need to protect your right to privacy. Borrowers are guaranteed confidentiality regarding library registration and borrowing records under Wisconsin State Statutes. The records of children under the age of 16 are available to custodial parents per Wisconsin Statute 43.30.

Wisconsin Law:

Burlington Public Library policies are designed to carry out the intent of Wisconsin Statute 43.30 (1) which states:

Records of any library which is in whole or in part supported by public funds…indicating the identity of any individual who borrows or uses the library’s documents or other materials, resources, or services may not be disclosed except by court order or to persons acting within the scope of their duties in the administration of the library…to person authorized by the individual to inspect such records, or to libraries as authorized under sub. (2) and (3). (For the text of the entire statute, please inquire at the Reference Desk).

Your Responsibilities

Your signature:

When you apply for a library card you will be required to sign the application and the library card. Your signature indicates that you understand and agree that the surrendering of your library card or library notice to another person, along with written permission constitutes authorization to that person to view your library records, or to conduct library business on your behalf under Wis. State Statute 43.30 (1).

Agencies Requesting Information

Library staff will release information about you to any agency*or private individual with your written permission, or by court order.

*Please note that Burlington Public Library can and does release information to other libraries as part of the process of filling interlibrary loan requests initiated by you, the patron, under Wis. State Statute 43.30 (2) and (3).

Your Borrowing Records

Before Library staff can disclose any information to you concerning your registration or circulation records, you must present one of the following items:

  • Your library card
  • Library notice addressed to you
  • Acceptable I.D.

Borrowing Records of Other Individuals:

If you are a parent inquiring about a child’s records, or you are conducting business for another adult, you must present one of the following:

  • Library card or notice for your child under the age of 15 for whom you are conducting business.
  • Library card or notice for your child, age 15 to 18, or the adult for whom you are conducting business and written permission from that child or adult.
Translate »